Friday, January 15, 2010

N'Qisate in Ethiopia


Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.

I am a novice ... even at Christianity. Although I was born into a Christian family, I didn't really go to bible study, or Sunday school for that matter. There is so much history, beautiful stories that lie within the Bible of which I know not. So when I speak of the Coptic Christians, please forgive me if I make mistakes. I welcome kind corrections.

Let me start with the proper name for the Ethiopian Church. Instead of Coptic Christian Church it is Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church. That said, we are talking about facial tattoos again! Makes me happy. It's brave for someone to get a tattoo, much more so on their face. Ethiopian women acquire these tattoos from a young age to signify their Christian faith. The tattoos which are applied by needle are displayed on necks, wrists, and faces of women in Ethiopia. This tradition is called N'Qisate.

In most parts of Ethiopia one will see these tattoos, however, it is prevalent in Lalibela, Ethiopia as it is one of the country's most holy cities. In Islam being tattooed is not thought well of. Ethiopian Christians identify themselves distinctly with these niqisat even though they are a minority in the continent of Africa. It is seen as primitive, sadly. I personally think it is simply traditional and worthy of continuation.

1 comment:

Waverly said...

Everything but Chinese spam is welcome!