Saturday, December 12, 2009

"The clock was ticking."


Tick tock. The clock inspires so much. Steampunk, Madonna's 4 minutes, and it's the main theme of Lara Croft Tomb Raider. In it there's a scene where she wakes up in the middle of the night to the ticking of a clock. My, she takes out a wall to find the clock. :laugh: I was inspired by that scene one night. No walls were bludgeoned, but I snipped off the second hand of a clock with some wire cutters...then went back to sleep.

Nowadays I am that clock. I keep time for short gesture poses, and if a longer pose gets hard I count the last few minutes for a sense of peace. It's odd to try to mimic the ticking in my head, but it's a little goal of mine. Be as accurate as a clock. We models have weird goals, but I should speak for myself. Just know that I can work peacefully with a ticking clock, no sledgehammers will come out.

2 comments:

Andrew said...

I can relate to this. Sometimes I will count the seconds during a long pose if there's nothing else on my mind, or if I want to divert my attention away from the discomfort of a hand or foot that has fallen asleep.

For 1-minute gestures I generally set my timer for the duration of the set, and then count the seconds for the individual poses in my head. So, keeping accurate time in your head may be a weird goal, but it's also useful skill.

Waverly said...

I'm glad you think so, too. Art modeling is very much in the mind. If you can't wait, you go crazy. Some people alphabetize Greek gods, some count. When there isn't any music counting is my only sense of time.